Friday, February 27, 2009

Clinical Day #1

Well, today was the first day of clinicals. Our normal classroom group of 24 students was split up into two groups of 12 and we went to two different hospitals in town. I did not expect to do much the first day, since it was just supposed to be an orientation and a walk through of the hospital so we could learn where everything was. Much to my surprise, when we got to the floor we would be working on, one of the R.N.'s was very excited to see us and pulled 3 of us (me and two other girls) aside and asked if we would change two patient beds, give them each a sponge bath and give them new gowns. Let's just say... it was messy. Poop and everything else you can imagine. I felt really bad for these two patients though. I wouldn't want to sit in my own feces for any amount of time, and I could tell that they were very greatful we were cleaning them up. One patient's wife offered me a cookie afterwards... I took the cookie just to be nice but I ended up throwing it away. Who wants to eat a cookie after cleaning up poop? Not me!

All in all, it was a very interesting day. We took vital signs, did AccuChecks (pricked fingers to check blood glucose) and learned all sorts of stuff. I can tell already that this job is going to be very rewarding. I can't wait for next Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment