Friday, February 20, 2009

Simulations

Today I had one of the biggest tests of my life, up to this point. They call them "simulations". We had to simulate giving a SubQ (subcuteneous) injection of insulin, an IM (intramuscular) injection of a pain medication, changing a wound dressing using sterile technique and inserting a Foley catheter into a female patient using sterile technique. It sounds simple enough, but it's not! There were literally about 200 steps to memorize in a certain order, and "sterile technique" is not as easy as it sounds... one minor, almost unnoticeable mistake can cost you lots of points. It is also difficult because you are singled out... it is almost like acting in a play in front of a crowd of people. I was very nervous at first because a lot was at stake... if I didn't pass simulations, I would be exited from the nursing program! Luckily, I passed. My nerves settled after I got going, and I ended up with a 197.5 out of 200! I missed a couple stupid things, but nothing is perfect, right? The best part is we start clinicals next week! I am so excited!

On a lighter note, I got a pack of pregnancy tests that came with a "bonus" digital pregnancy test, and I figured "who wants to find out they are pregnant with a digital test? You can't save it... the battery would eventually die." So I decided to take it last night. It was kind of funny when it gave me the answer... "No!" I thought that was kind of harsh! Obviously it would be too early to detect pregnancy hormone, but I was bored!

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment